Friday, February 18, 2011

The Check Ups

Since James and I decide to have our kids so close together (totally on purpose ;-)), they both get their special annual check ups with the pediatrician around the same time. AND, since I am awful about updating the baby book I decided I would post the progress here.

Greyson had his 4 year check up a few weeks ago, and he was the model patient as usual. We did a Denver developmental screening, and he was on track with the average 5 yr 2 mo old so that was pretty exciting to hear. He continues to grow and stay at the top of the curve (no surprise there). He was 46.3lbs (95th perc), and he was 42.5" tall (90th perc). I don't think he was standing up perfectly straight for the height measurement, but it doesn't really matter. We know he's a big boy, and we love him! The sad part of the appointment came when they went to do his shots (he got THREE). He has not received any vaccines (other than the flu shot) since he was 2, and he really wasn't all that vocal then. He was very aware of everything that was going on, and when it happened he was heartbroken. After the first one, our nurse Barb rushes in with the 2nd. I don't know if I can adequately describe the look on his face when she gave him the 3rd :-(. He was just crying and asking me why they were hurting him. It just broke my heart, and I was ECSTATIC to know that he will not need anymore shots (again, other than the flu shot) until he is 11 years old. That is just crazy to me to think that he is now officially ready to enter the school system *tear*. I'm not ready to have a kindergartner so it's a good thing I have Pre-K next year to prepare him (and me) for the next step in his educational journey.

Hannah just had her appointment yesterday, and it always surprises me how well she does for Dr. Kaplan. It's like she's going nuts one minute running around and acting crazy, and then she's suddenly this calm, well-behaved child that I don't even recognize. It's SO not fair :-). We also completed a Denver developmental screening for her, and she was on track with most 3 yr 1 mo olds. She's an over-achiever like her mother I think, and I know that chasing and trying to keep up with her smart big brother keeps her moving along. She weighed 27.6lbs (60th perc), 35" tall (80th perc), and her head circumference was 19 1/2" (90th perc). The doctor did ask some questions about her weight gain since she dropped 15 percentage points since her 18 month checkup. They assured me that she was developing perfectly normally and all but that I just need to make sure to keep up with her ever increasing calorie needs. I can switch to 2% milk, but I can't put her on skim milk with the rest of the family. This is a different conversation than we had at Greyson's 2 year check up where they said that he was welcome to switch to skim milk lol. I think it's really just because she is so active and always trying to be like Greyson. She is a great eater, and I think she's just becoming more tall and slender like a big girl instead of my little chubby toddler. I miss having a baby around, but it's so fun to watch them each changing and surprising us every day. They are a wonder, and I feel so blessed to have them.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like they are both doing GREAT! Did Hannah get any shots? I can't remember if they do at the 2 year or not.

    ReplyDelete